Sunday, December 2, 2007

Never Too Old to Learn...

As a wife, mother and grandmother the tendency would be for me to think ~ ~ ~ I probably know all I am ever going to learn about the kitchen. I suppose I have the mind set that I am "tooo old to learn"

My grandson proved that statement to be a myth within the past week. On Thanksgiving morning Derek along with Brendon came over to use my oven (their oven had a turkey roasting in it). Derek had to run an errand and left Brendon and the Grandmother to do the baking. Well as I have done forever, I would check the pizza pan size sugar cookie to make sure it didn't get too brown. To do that checking I would open the oven and look.

When the cookie was finally brown I took it out and the side closest to the door was lighter than the rest of the cookie. I made the comment that I wasn't paying attention to the back of the cookie and maybe I should have.

Brendon very calmly and quietly made me realize where the problem was - I was opening the oven door. Bren walked over, turned on the oven light and told me I should use the light and check the cookie through the glass (without opening the door). "That way it doesn't let cool air in and change the cooking temperature" was the explanation from my wonderful grandson. '

I asked him where he learned all this ~ FCS. Well not being familiar with the newest ideas in education I had to ask what FCS is. Family Consumer Science ~ ~ ~ Oh, yeah, Home Ec.
Brendon is learning to cook and that is just terrific.

So there you have it folks ~ a Grandmother is never too old to learn from a handsome 14 year old grandson seen here on Thanksgiving wearing his awesome new red shoes - to quote Brendon.

3 comments:

The Going Blog said...

He looks like he is going to be tall like his Daddy and Uncle Nathan. I bet he loves that. Some of us don't have the window on the front of our ovens to check our cookies. I wonder what we should do?

Anonymous said...

That is too funny! Like a Grandmother, an Aunt does the same thing and I guess I need to take lessons from the FCS Chef. (I'm glad you gave the definition of FCS. It was Home Ec when I was in school.

Ronda said...

Learning from your grandson.....That's fun! He looks very tall in that picture...How tall is he? By-the-way...I do the same thing...it is hard to resist opening the oven door! See ya tonight!