Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Odometer's

Lee recently sold his Ford truck - the last truck he owned in a long line of Ford trucks. They were mostly all red trucks and this last one was not an exception. He bought the truck in 1991 and it had 44 miles on it then. When he sold it earlier this month it registered 126,564 miles. And we didn't try to turn back the odometer. What the odometer said is what the man got who purchased the truck.

I know you are wondering - 'where in the world is she going with this story'...... Well, I was thinking about that truck and how worn and tattered and just plain 'old' it looked when we sold it. I saw my family doctor this week and he informed me that some things just happen when a person gets 'old'. That is coming from a 'young' doctor.

So while thinking about that 'old' worn and tattered truck - I thought that is exactly how I feel - especially since the doctor indicated that I am now 'old'.

I was encouraged tremendously this morning when I read a saying that I had seen some time ago and I can say without any reservations that I really do feel this way........
"Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me! I
want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way
and some of the roads weren't paved"
And just like Lee's truck, I am not turning back the odometer.

2 comments:

The Going Blog said...

That is an awesome quote. Sounds like something my Dad would say. I didn't realize you bought that truck the year I was married. I'm going through a realization (mourning) period that I will never look like I did in 1991. A very good reason to keep my man :)

Ronda said...

Hi, Bette! Hope that you are doing well...Great blog! I think that it is wonderful that you are comfortable with who you are and I don't think of you as "old" at all!(I totally can't believe that I am nearing "40"!!!! Yikes! In some ways I feel younger than that but life just keeps zooming on...That's why I want to treasure every day!) Also..Congrats on Derek's new position...I know you all must be so proud of him! Good for him!