Thursday, August 30, 2007

Bette's Dead Van - on I-465 this time!

It seems when what my mind considers a "traumatic event" lessens, I can write about the event. Yesterday one of those times occurred.

As I have mentioned once in a previous post, it is not a "good thing" to see my red van going down the driveway on the back of a tow truck. Well Wednesday afternoon I learned something that is worse than seeing that van going down the driveway at home on the back of tow truck.

It is much worse to be in Indianapolis, on I-465, in the middle lane ( of a three lane interstate), during rush hour and realize your car has stopped running. Wow, thoughts started scrambling through my head for attention first. Three choices seemed to be the most prominent ---
1. Do I call Lee and YELL.
2. Do I do a woman thing and start crying.
3. Do I think fast - like how to get out of this jam - what is the quickest way to the shoulder of the interstate.

I opted for #3 first. No traffic in the right lane for 10 cars back or so -- Thank you Lord -- and I made for the right. Then I realized the power steering wasn't on either (Duh, Bette - no power, no power steering). that wasn't one of the things clamouring for my attention. But I gave it an extra turn as only a 65 year-old woman can do and ended up as far to the right of the shoulder as I could get. Than I put on the brake and thought, now what do I do. Well I thought what do I do after I put on the hazard lights. Is that what they are called? I don't know. I just hoped they would keep people from slamming into the red van I was stranded in.

Then I tried #1. But Lee wasn't answering his cell. Smart Man. Besides what could he do? I really didn't know, I just wanted to hear a friendly voice.

I then talked to the husband of my best friend and Don told they would come and get me if I needed them to. So I calmed down inside and decided to try and find Brett with his trusty tow truck.

It all turned out okay. Brett said "Stay in the car, I will come and get you and the car". Okay, I could do that quite well. I certainly wasn't going anywhere. I entertained myself with looking in my left mirror and seeing just how many cars and trucks actually drive with their right wheels over the line toward the shoulder and hoping as they saw me they would move over. They all did, thank the Lord again!

After 30 minutes a CVS-pharmacy emergency van stopped and asked if I was alright, did I need anything. I assured him my Brett was on the way. So he gave me a couple of waters and went on to help any other stranded motorists.

And then as I kept watching the west bound traffic, I saw the best sight I could have seen. I saw that red tow truck with my Brett driving going west. He immediately called me to assure me he saw where I was and he would be there soon.

After 1 1/2 hours in 90+ degrees of an Indiana afternoon on the Interstate, what I had been waiting for arrived. Brett pulled up in front of me, helped me into the truck, put the van on the flat bed and we started for home. Well it wasn't quite that quick for Brett loading the van, but his mother was willing to wait for as long as it took.



Brett - "My Knight in Shining Armor"

The pictures are not real good - taken with my cell phone when I was stuck in the front of a truck while all the action was happening in the rear. But I did the best I could with the equipment I had. My car is now at Turner Automotive for repair - AGAIN! How many repairs does a van need when it only has 97,000+ miles on it? Haven't had any answers to that question yet.......

I am sooooooo glad to be home. Thank you Brett!

4 comments:

My Big Brown Opinion said...

Incredible! I'm glad you're OK. It's also good to see your Picasa album on here. Very nice!

The Going Blog said...

Bette--you are too funny. I looked at your web album :) first and was thinking to myself you must have that camara on your hip then I read that you had to use your phone. I'm sure Brett is proud that you were capturing every moment. I may need your knight in shining armor's phone # someday but I sure hope not. I'm thankful the trauma was a safe one!!!

Anonymous said...

Well one good thing it wasn't freezing cold and snowing and Brett wasn't at the fire station. But the most important thing you weren't run over as you obviously weren't doing the speed limit of 80 or more! Glad you're safe!

Ronda said...

Sounds like quite the ordeal...I am so sorry! It sure made for a good blog story though!(smile)