Friday, May 2, 2008

The President's Coming - well former President....

It was my job this week to pick up my granddaughter, Jayde, at Harris Elementary. The bell rings at 2:20pm and the kids start pouring out of the building.

Word last evening was - the former President Clinton would be visiting Greenfield today. Greenfield??? I didn't know we were big enough to have a President visit us. Well, I guess whether you are Republican or Democrat, that is news.

My son being a police officer was probably going to be involved. He talked to his Dad this morning at Lee's work. Lee informed me when I picked him up that Derek told him I wouldn't be able to get near the school, I would have to walk from Michigan St. WHAT??? No problem I guess - that is only 6 blocks from the school - guess it doesn't matter that it is pouring rain on Friday afternoon. Doesn't matter either that his mother is an injured (in a cast shoe), mature (not 'old') female. The President is coming!

Well I made it to the school, saw plenty of police cars, fire trucks, ambulances (wonder why they needed those), and many, many parents & grandparents picking up children in the rain. They were pushing everyone to hurry and pick up your child and get out of Dodge - no really get out of Greenfield Middle School, Harris Elementary parking lot. Just hurry, hurry, hurry!

Well, the President made his appearance in Greenfield late this afternoon. It didn't matter to him that is is raining today - to Greenfield Middle School he came! And we all hurried to get out of the way so his motorcade could bring him to the School doorway. Wonder if there was an umbrella over him on his walk from the car to the school - some of us were not that fortunate. That's okay. The President was here!

3 comments:

The Going Blog said...

Get this... David shook his hand. I waited in the van and watched the motorcade from afar. I'm sure he will be blogging about it :-)

Anonymous said...

That is a neat picture of the motorcade. Since I was inside the building I didn't get to see it. It has been an exciting couple of days at GMS. What an honor that GMS was chosen to host the former presidents visit.
Janet Leonard

Ronda said...

Sounds like alot of excitement... I am sure that the kids enjoyed all of the pomp and circumstance! The motorcade did look neat! Hope that you are having a good weekend...