Sunday, October 7, 2007

Thoughts......from a somewhat aging Bette!

I mentioned sometime ago how 50 years had changed how I react compared to my 14 year old grandson, Brendon. Since August 7th when that age of 65 hit me, I am trying to become more mobile and flexible. I know - that is a definitely tall order, but I'll never know if it is possible unless I try.

Lee is my very own personal woodcrafter. Whenever I think, "I need that", I tell Lee and in a somewhat reasonable length of time, he builds it for me. In my sewing/exercise/storage room I have an exercise bench that I told him I would need after having bilateral knee replacements done 18 months ago.

So now in the interest of keeping my 65 year old body flexible and moving, I realized I need a addition. ( Flexible is a term I am using quite loosely)....I decided I better check out the definition of the word. Webster's Dictionary online states that flexible is "Capable of being flexed; pliant - checking out pliant is the scary part - "supple enough to bend freely or repeatedly without breaking". Yeah that is what I want. Breaking would not be fun. Wonder how long it is going to take to reach that.

Well, back to the point. The addition! The family physician sent me to physical therapy to help with the movement of the aging shoulders. Tamara & Kelli, my therapists have me doing some muscle strengthening exercises using a pillow on the wall. A light went off in my head - Lee could attach the pillow to the wall permanently and it will be easier not holding it against the wall while doing the exercises.

The pictures show how clever my man is - I now have a pillow attached to the wall for those exercises to strengthen my upper arms and shoulders. It is sort of attractive also.

Lee building an Exercise pillow frame

3 comments:

The Going Blog said...

You all function very much like my parents. I love it. If it can make life easier then lets nail it, screw it, bolt it! I must say that is a nice looking pillow on your wall :) That is a custom frame with bisquits and everything. I'll have to drop by and see it.

Ronda said...

That is so neat that Lee could custom make what you needed...The end result looks great! You are such a fun blogger!(smile)

My Big Brown Opinion said...

He's very talented. I can only imagine how tough it must be to have limited eyesight; he puts the rest of us to shame with the things he can make out in his shop!