As an IA (Instructional Assistant) in the 3rd grade at one of our local Elementary Schools, I spend 30 minutes each morning welcoming the children to school and helping to keep things under control in the Gym as we wait for the bell that tells us School is now starting.
Recently I was doing my routine morning duty and a cute little man in kindergarten with snappy black eyes, tugged on my hand, looked up at me and asked "Do you have grandkids". I didn't understand just what he was asking so I said "What??? The answer came very demanding and loud "Are you a Mamaw???" I figured I better answer quickly without asking any more questions - this little guy was obviously on a mission regarding 'something'.
looking at me with questions in his eyes. I looked back and finally exasperated he asked "Well, don't you give hugs?" I almost laughed, but answered "yes - do you need a hug". By now the situation had deteriorated and his patience was wearing very thin.
He just stood there, finally put his arms out and I gave him a hug. He then walked away looking back at me like 'Boy that is a really dumb Mamaw'
And to answer my Title - Yes, I must be old. Especially when you consider that a 5 yr old looks at me and assumes I am a Grandmother!!! You also know that part of my job now includes giving hugs to cute little 5 yr old boys!

1 comment:
I love this story. You are making an impression on alot of little lives.
Post a Comment