Friday, February 29, 2008

He's Baaaack.....

Lee & some of his Catalogs

My gardener is back. It must be spring! I realize it doesn't look like it, it doesn't feel like it and it certainly doesn't say it is spring on my calendar yet. But since my gardener has arrived, it must be spring!

I finally heard the message. I was told to prepare for seed ordering. The catalogs have been arriving in our mailbox for nearly two months, between 50-60 different ones. Who would have thought there were that many places selling garden seeds. I have tried to ignore that the day was getting closer. Last fall when the last of the garden was pulled down, and the last tomato and pepper cages were carried to their winter resting place, I was told that our 2008 garden would be MUCH smaller. I doubted the message and the messenger. Why?? Playing in the dirt is part of Lee's personality. I wondered - could a smaller garden be in Lee's future?

We sat down to order seeds. Brett, our oldest son is a big lover of "HOT" peppers to quote Brett. Brett had already brought over his pepper seed order before this day arrived. So we looked at tomato, pepper, cucumber, green bean, swiss chard, summer squash, winter squash, and zucchini seeds. We made decisions regarding all these seeds, I made my lists and told Lee I would go online in the morning and order his seeds for him. Surprise, surprise it really isn't much smaller - Lee's 2008 garden.

The next morning at breakfast, Lee made the declaration - "Do not order tomato and pepper seeds for me. I am buying tomato and pepper plants. Just get ALL those other seeds."

The orders have been sent and Lee is now eagerly awaiting the arrival of his seeds. He is already planning his garden on cardboard, so we are READY. Yea!!

6 comments:

The Going Blog said...

Does Lee have a favorite catalog? I think he is addicted to the smell of dirt :) I hope you are on the mend. I need to call and make sure :)

Ronda said...

Somehow this doesn't surprise me...Lee wouldn't be happy without his big, beautiful garden!(smile) I, too, hope that you are doing better! I always miss you when you are not at church! Praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Dose Grandpa need help when he get's them!Cause I will help him! love,Jayde

Bette said...

Thank you Jayde. I will give Grandpa your message and when he gets in the garden, he can let you know.....Grammy

Anonymous said...

Ok thank you I will very glad to help anytime!Love, Jayde~~~~~~~~!

My Big Brown Opinion said...

I plan for minutes and he plans for months. I guess that's why he has such a nice garden and mine is a weed patch!